Friday, July 24, 2009

Day 99

Miles 68.6 Total for trip 3885.25 Talk about an oasis. 70 miles of nothing but sagebrush. I climb over the last hill for the day and see this great river on the other side.

I would like to thank the great state of Wyoming for marking the roads that I needed to turn on for the last couple days. Without my odometer I would have been doing some guessing, but every road was marked.
Today was the long day. From A&M to my next stop was 68 miles with possibly no water until my destination. Last night the coyotes were howling(it sounded like a huge pack). I think I set up camp in their watering hole, my mistake. This morning I wished I had a fishing pole, the fish were jumping big time. I lucked out on the weather today it was overcast just about all day and I even got about a 30 minute rain shower. The area I was riding today was all sagebrush, no trees could be seen for the whole 68 miles. My water was doing ok, but I was not drinking as much as normal because of the lack of water. There was a Diagnus Well on my map at mile 57, but it is not always running. I stopped and walked the 1/4 mile to the well to check it out. Sure enough there was water running from the spicket, so I filled up on water there. I told myself if it was running I would camp there for the night, but it was not a good area to camp so I pushed on to Sweetwater River. I am glad I did, Sweetwater turned out to be a great spot to camp.

No comments: