Friday, July 24, 2009

Day 100!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Miles 47 Total for trip 3932.25 I planned on taking an easy day today so I got out of camp around 10.30. I knew there would be a little climb to start the day and decided I would do quite a bit of walking today. I went through Atlantic City WY. The city has been through a few boom and bust cycles, now it is a tourist spot. It has a nice B&B and a couple bars in town. It was a long climb out of Atlantic City to the Carissa Gold Mine(pictured above). The mine is no longer operational, but when gold hit $850 an ounce there were some that wanted to re-open it. Wyoming decided to restore the buildings and have it open for tours. There was a bus full of people touring it as I went by.

I was really looking forward to a rest area that was about 24 miles into my day today. My master plan was to sit at a picnic table for a few hours and relax. I got to the rest area and there was a bunch of construction going on and the picnic tables were blocked of. I checked my map out to see what the next possible camping area was and it was the Little Sandy Creek about 22 miles away. I had a few hours of light left so I thought I would be able to make it. It was a tough 22 miles, rolling hills and not the best road. I pulled near the Little Sandy Creek area and saw a couple bikers. They were riding South. I camped out with them and swapped stories about each other's trip. They started in Helena MT, which sounds like a great city to spend an extra day. We talked for a while, I made it up passed 11.00 for the first time in a long time.

I crossed over the Pony Express Trail, but did not travel on it.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Cool. So that is an average of 39.3225 miles per day. Boy am I good at math. I'll be able to do another calculation at day 1,000.

Big A said...

Did you have to get your calculator out for that? I don't think I will make it to day 1000.

Unknown said...

Did you find an error in the calculation? I did not use a calc for the average miles per day. But I had to use a calc for your average Miles Per Hour - 0.61033759 MPH. Now that calculation is assuming you are riding 24 hours a day.