Monday, July 13, 2009

Day 91

Miles 27.58 Total for trip 3502.08
Avg spd 9.42
Max spd 31.08
Climb 1219
Alt chng --941 The ride today was over the 2nd highest pass of the trip, called Boreas Pass. The ride up was nice it was not that steep just a long gradual pass. When I got around 2 miles outside Breckenridge it started raining fairly hard. I got to the city and tried to wait out the rain for around 30 minutes. The next leg of the trail was a nice bike path, so even so it was raining I went towards Frisco CO. The rain picked up and it started hailing real bad. It got so bad for a portion of the bike path I was riding through around 1/2 inch of hail. After getting to just outside of Frisco I found a bus stop and stopped there to wait out the rain. I decided to get a room for the night, dry out and get my laundry done.
The upper photo is the outskirts of Breckenridge CO. The city is a survivor of the gold rush and has become a tourist trap all year long.






The above house was built in 1881 for the section boss and his workers who were maintaining the Boreas Pass section of the Highline Railroad. The house was restored and was opened to the public in 1996 and can be rented from November to May.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Wow Aaron!!
I love all the pictures of the mountains, lakes, and wild flowers!!! What beautiful country side. So sorry to hear about your phone. I hope you have found it!! Weather here has been lower temp.s than normal. But Friday it is suppose to hit 100. We hope to make it boating/skiing this weekend.
I love you!!!
Debbie