Sunday, July 5, 2009

Day 78

Miles 33.49 Total for trip 3009.04

Avg spd 5.95

Max spd 30.95

Climb 3751

Alt chng ++1981



Broke the 3000 mile barrier. Nice.






I left Cuba knowing I had over a 2000 foot climb ahead of me. So I stopped at mini-mart read the paper, and found the location of the Rainbow Gathering to see if it was on my route. It happened to be right on my route. There was a lot of traffic on the way up the climb, but I had a 10 foot shoulder so the traffic did not bother me. The Forest Service had some of my route as a 1 way because of the gathering, but I figured a bike could go against the 1 way. On the trip up I had a couple people stop and ask me for directions to the gathering. It is a wide variety of people that go. I went by run down old buses to newer BMWs. There were cars parked on the side of the forest road for a couple miles. Some parked to close to the edge and fell down 10-20 feet, because of all the rain.




I wanted to get to the top of the climbs today, but decided since I had 25 miles of downhill tomorrow I could climb some tomorrow. I found a great campsite at around 9500 feet.

1 comment:

cheryl said...

I cannot believe that people had their cars fall down because of parking too close. Can you imagine leaving the festivities of the rainbow gathering to get to your car and see that it was not where it should have been? I think I would have went back to the gathering.

Your campsite looks fantastic. Very peaceful.

Love you, sister Cheryl