Monday, July 13, 2009

Day 88

Miles 43.45 Total for trip 3402.34
Avg spd 7.11
Max spd 36.74
Climb 3389
Alt chng ++271 The above picture is of O'Haver Lake on my way down Marshall Pass. It looked like a great place to camp, but the day was young so I kept on riding.



Today out of camp I had a 17 mile uphill that covered 2300 ft of altitude. Lucky for me my food pickup is today in Salida(the end of the downhill after the 17 mile uphill) and I only have 1 day of food left so my trailer is the lightest it has ever been. I did the best I have done on a big uphill. I would say I only walked around 1 1/2 miles of the uphill today. I passed a few ATVers and they yelled their support. I got into Salida with time to spare and hit the Post Office. I got my food packed and was happy not to have the extra weight for the trip up the hill today.

Salida didn't have any camping so I was going to get out of town a couple miles and set up camp. Boy was I wrong. There were not any good camping spots out of town. It was private property and very steep. It was probably twice as steep as the hill earlier today plus I had 25 more pounds in my trailer. I walked quit a lot out of town. I ended up going 1300ft up and 4 miles out of town before I got to San Isabel National Forest and was able to find a place to set up my tent.

No comments: