Monday, July 6, 2009

Day 79

Miles 58.97 Total for trip 3068.01
Avg spd 7.34
Max spd 31.95
Climb 3803
Alt chng --88
I was looking forward to today's 25 miles of downhill and breaking the 10,000 foot barrier for the first time on the trip.

I had some tough road today. The road was so bad the driver of the VW abandoned their vehicle. It looked like it had been there a couple weeks. I was hoping when I turned on the road 27 the conditions would improve for my downhill portion. No such luck. The 27 was 18 miles of my downhill and I think I was standing up on my bike for 15 of the 18 miles. For part of the road I thought I made a wrong turn and got into a dry river bed. It was a hard limestone surface, but since it rains so much in the area the water flows down the road leaving rocks and little crevasses in the limestone. At one point I heard a strange noise on my trailer and I looked back to see my SPOT dangling on the bungee cord where my tent, tarp, and towel usually are. They had fallen off about 1/4 of a mile back.




I got done with the downhill portion at Abiquiu and needed a break. There was a nice store there and I found a couple huge breakfast burritos on sale for just .99, and they had free soda refills. I hung around there for about 1 1/2 hours. 3 motorcyclists came by the store and saw my bike. They said they were following my tracks for the last 40 miles and were glad they ran into me. They are going on the same trail I am up to Banff Canada.

I made it a little past the city called El Rito and found a campsite between the cactus and sage brush.

2 comments:

cheryl said...

Aaron, I do not know how you keep reclaiming your lost items. First your GPS and then your tent and everything? Good thing you heard that noise.

Unknown said...

I think Aaron has an Angel on his shoulder this trip.