Monday, July 6, 2009

Day 80

Miles 38.61 Total for trip 3106.62
Avg spd 5.10
Max spd 32.69
Climb 4983
Alt chng ++2738
The above picture is an old cabin that sits above a huge meadow in NM.


Today my destination is Hopewell Lake Campgrounds. For some reason I have really been looking forward to getting to Hopewell. I had hoped to get there by 2 pm to beat the 4th campers. No such luck. I knew there would be a lot of climbing today, I just did not think it would be close to 5000 ft. I was just about to start the tough uphill for the day when I passed through Canon Plaza. My info showed nothing but houses. I passed through the houses and was almost to the start of the dirt road when I saw a couple dogs and a lady sweeping by a small shack. I got closer and it said it was a summer store. I stopped and to my surprise there was cold soda. I had a couple and talked with the owner, Sylvia. She has kept a journal since 1999 with the riders and racers of the Divide Trail. While I was there a racer stopped by and talked with us. He thinks the race is going to be huge in 5 years there will be 1000 riders, up from only 45 this year.

The above picture is of Hopewell Lake. It looks like a popular fishing hole.

I was beat and had about 6 miles to go to Hopewell, most of it still uphill. An ATV passed me and asked where I was from and going. She told me the campground is just a couple miles up the road. I have learned most people guess low so I knew I still had at least 5 miles to go. I must have looked tired by the end of the day, because of a couple of ATVers stopped and asked me if I wanted a ride and if I was ok. I just needed a picnic table to cook dinner on. I got to the campground and it was full, bummer.I road down to the dayuse area by the lake, cooked dinner and relaxed until around 8pm. I found a place near the lake that I could camp unseen.

No comments: