Thursday, May 28, 2009

Day 41

Miles 53.07 Total for trip 1532.80
Avg spd 10.45
Max spd 36.74
Climb 2071
Alt chng ++308
I left the Crazy College Crew after a great breakfast, tempted to unpack and stay for the evening. I decided to push on to today's destination of Pismo Dunes State Beach. The ride today was nice. It was going to be a short day so I wasn't pushing too hard. I found a great little cafe to upload the last few days into the blog. The wifi was twice as any I have used on the trip. I got done in a couple hours and left for Pismo. I got to the campground and saw the full sign, but was not worried there is always room in the hiker/biker area. I went to the window and asked for a hiker/biker site and was informed they no longer had any hiker/biker. I went to the other campground and they were also full. I decided to see about camping on the beach. I found the beach to be a no go. I was told they give out 1000 permits to camp to vehicles and the permits were all gone. This beach is nuts. There are cars going back and forth, like one big cruse.



I had to push on it was 5.00 pm and the next campground was about 60 miles away. I was not going to make it that far so I kept my eyes open for a place to camp along the highway. I was fortunate to be riding this stretch. It is flat and had a nice tailwind. I had to be averaging around 14 mph for the 30 miles past Pismo Beach. I saw a great place along the freeway. I got down under the trees and someone before me was nice enough to leave their tarp hanging. It looked like no one had been back for awhile so I set up camp. Looks like my long day tomorrow turned into a short day.

No comments: