Sunday, May 10, 2009

Day 27

Miles 23.87 Total for trip 966.36
Avg spd 10.81
Max spd 34.42
Climb 1168
Alt ++419 I got up today to discover I had my first flat tire of the trip. I must have punctured the tube while I was fixing the spokes last night. I had another spare tube so fixed the tire with no problem and patched the tube just in case.

I have seen the flowers below several times on the trip and have wanted to take a picture of them. I finally had a pullout near a patch of the flowers so I got a picture of them.





The top picture is of the Eel River. The river seems like a slow moving river. I don't think it would be a good rafting river, unless you wanted to do a lot of paddling. The bottom picture is what you see along much of the Avenue of the Giants.


Tomorrow I will be getting to the 1, which has a lot of small cities so it could be a few days before the next update.
Happy Mother's Day to all the mothers.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow, great pictures. sounds like your running into lots of riders. must be a bit more exciting than the first few hundred miles. It looks like you are going to turn over the 1,000 mile mark in the next couple of days. Congratulations!

Unknown said...

Hi Aaron,
Wow!!! You are almost to 1000 mile mark. That's terrific!! Sounds like your enjoying the red wood country variety. Love reading about your adventures and impressions. Thanks for keeping us up to date and the mother's day wish.
Debbie

bethsuhr said...

It was great talking to you today. Surprized you didn't say anything about broken spokes and flat tire but then we could certainly understand why you'd put that as far back in your mind as possible. Loved the picture with your bike all apart although I'm sure you didn't! I remember going on that road through those giant trees many years ago with you, Eric & Cheryl. We love the pics and updates and congrats on almost 1000 miles!

Unknown said...

Aloha,
I forgot last night to thank you for the update on your items that were "dumped" discussion. I can see why you let go of the fishing, books and food items - they were some of the heaviest and you can always buy a new book as you pass thought town (maybe not one you really, really wanted to read...but oh well... it is worth the lighter load). So tomorrow is the 12th - have you wore those worn tennis shoes or are they now history.
Love ya!
Debbie

Unknown said...

Hi Aaron!!
I love all the pics, but I have a question. Where did you buy that tiny toy bicycle to put in front of things to make them look bigger than they are? (A lot bigger I might add.)Best wishes for the big 1000.
Amy
P.S. I got an A on my butterfly model.

cheryl said...

Hey Aaron! Can you believe that you are probably at 1000 or close to by now? That is awesome. Your pictures continue to be fabulous. Please keep it up. They inspire me. I cannot believe how beautiful some of the country is. Pati got on and looked at your pics and told me she thinks a lot of them look professional. Good job. Hope you find some cheap soda on the way through Cali. :)

Love ya, Cheryl

Unknown said...

Hey Aaron... I'm completely amazed at your photos and that you're doing this! Hope you don't mind that I'm living vicariously through you :) Be well, Pati

Key Elements said...

Aaron
Those orange flowers are the California Poppy - the California State Flower.