Monday, May 4, 2009

Day 20

Miles 30 Total for trip 747.45
Avg spd 9.23
Max spd 31.82
Climb 1380
Alt Chng ++42
The above picture is from the middle of the highest bridge in Oregon. I parked my bike and walked out to the middle. I felt like I had plenty of room, the traffic that went by might have thought differently.


Looks like another wet day. I left around 10.30 am with no rain, but very cloudy skies. I had a couple mile hill to get out of Gold Beach and by the time I got to the bottom of it the clouds were all but gone. Blue sky for as far as I could see. Sweet. I took my rain gear off and did not have to put it back on all day. I am taking it easy on the coast. Trying to keep my days from 30-45 miles.



The deer above seemed like it was going to cross the road until it saw me and my bike. I think it was confused at what to think about me. I pulled over to the side of the road and the deer slowly went across the 101 without incident.



The coast today followed the Samuel H. Boardman State Park for about 7 miles. I could have stopped every 1/2 miles to take pictures and look at the scenery, but I tried to stop every 2-3 miles. I went over the highest bridge in Oregon. It goes over the Thomas Creek and is 345 feet high. I found a good place to park my bike and walked out to the middle of the bridge to get a couple straight down shots. I wanted to walk down to the beach and get a picture of the bridge. After looking at the trail that goes down I decided not to. It went straight down.....for around 345 ft.








I made it to Harris Beach SP for the night. It has the biggest hiker/biker camp ground that I have stayed in. The campground has a laundry facility and even a playground for the kiddies. It is the first night I have had another biker in the campground. He is from Seattle. Biked from Seattle to LA and is now on his way back.

No comments: