Sunday, May 17, 2009

Day 31

Miles 30.28 Total for trip 1145.21
Avg spd 8.96
Max spd 30.95
Climb 2070
Alt chng --219
I finally got a picture of the birds not flying. That was one of my goals on the trip. I saw a bunch of seals in the picture below.

I left Salt Point State Park thinking that I could use a day off, but today's mileage was not to bad so I decided to trek on. Around 2 miles out of camp I thought I might have made the wrong decision. I stopped about every 6 miles to get through the day. A guy I talked to in Oregon told me that Oregon builds big bridges and California builds little bridges. Today's ride made me understand that statement. Around every mile I would get a nice downhill until I hit the bottom of the hill and the 10-15mph turn over the small bridge. The uphill was very steep, not the long rolling hills of the country. This was the whole day was straight down, almost stop, straight up. It was a tough day.

I could see fog rolling in on the bay. My campsite for the night was Bodega Dunes State Park and the closer I got to the fog the more It looked like that was my campsite. The fog was fairly thick, but the temperature was not that bad. I went from 70ish before the fog to around 50ish about usual once the sun goes down on the coast. Looks like a day off in a couple days, after I get Dan's wheel in Montara.

I was about to fall asleep when I heard a rustling around one of my bags. I leaned up flashed my light and shushed whatever was out there, a skunk came out from behind the bag and I quietly laid back down in my tent. I figured the skunk could have anything it wanted as long as it didn't spray. As you can guess, it took a while for me to get to sleep, because it kept sniffing around my tent for awhile. It looks like the skunk has been in the camp for a long time. Last night(5-16) a biker said he saw it a few years ago.

Yep that fog is where my campsite is for the night.


No comments: