Sunday, May 10, 2009

Day 25

Miles 38.37 Total for trip 900.86
Avg spd 11.29
Max spd 36.74
Climb 1288
Alt Chng ++39



Today I was going through Eureka CA. It had a restaurant that was on my list to try. There are only 3 of these on my list so I stopped there for the free wireless Internet and great fries. All was going well, my pictures had just been uploaded to flikr when their wifi went out. The waitress told me their wireless is not that reliable. I didn't feel safe leaving my bike out at the library where I couldn't see it so I couldn't get everything done.


My destination for today is Ferndale CA. There is a big bike ride happening and I found out that were I am camping for the day all bikers in the ride get free camping so I am going to try to blend in. The long ride is a 100 mile loop along some of the route I am taking, but I am chickening out on the lost coast trail which has a climb of 2500 feet in around 7 miles. I have a big climb in a couple days so decided that would be enough.


I got a little lost again today, went past the road I was supposed to turn on. I figured it out after a mile or so. I need to start reading the maps better. Not that much happening today rode along a lot of country roads again and was off the 101 almost all day. Ferndale is a tourist town there is not a convenient store or chain of any kind, it is kinda nice.


At the fairground where all the bikers were staying I ran into James, the biker I talked with a couple days ago. He is a serious biker and is looking to improve on his 18th place last year. He and his teammates are getting a strategy together to get the 100 miles in under 5 hours. He is on his college team which has around 70 riders on it. College riding teams are big in California.

No comments: