Sunday, May 17, 2009

Day 33

Miles 57.21 Total for trip 1245.12
Avg spd 9.72
Max spd 37.61
Climb 2840
Alt chng --134

I made it to my 3rd sunset. My campground was at Half Moon Bay State Beach. The sign said it was full, but there is always room for 1 more biker in the hiker/biker area. When I got there a car was parked in the area. They had their tent all set up. About 30 minutes after I got there the ranger showed up and made the car pack up and leave. It only costs $3 in the hiker/biker sites compared to $10-$25 for a regular campsite. Most of the bikers I have camped near are morning people. This morning I was up by 7.45 and both bikers from last night were already gone, diehards.

San Francisco, my second map is completed. Only 9 more to go. I know all the good detours to take not because of months of preparation, but because I ordered maps from a company called Adventurecycling.org.
The ride today was great. I was looking forward to getting to a big city. If you were to see San Fran now you would not think there is any kind of recession. Wall to wall people. I was glad to be riding south today, because when I got into the suburbs of San Fran I passed around 1000 (no exaggeration)bikers going north. I was talking with a lady at a coffee shop who said there are a lot of bike clubs in and around San Fran.
I rode over the Golden Gate Bridge and sat for an hour afterwards trying to figure out the rest of my day since I was not going to make it to Montara and pick up Dan's wheel before the post office closed. I decided to try to get my bike tuned up tomorrow and found a bike shop in Pacifica that was open on Sundays. I tried to get a hotel room for the night and found they were full and there are no campsites in Pacifica. I decided to try to get to my campsite for the night even with the warning from Valerie about the Devil's watchamacallit.
The hill outside Pacifica was treacherous. The shoulder disappeared and the hwy went from 4 lanes down to 2(more like 1 1/2). The hill was steep with not many pullouts. I made it to a pullout dripping sweat, thinking I didn't know how much farther up I could get tonight. I pushed on, got to the top of the hill and the next 9 miles were a breeze to my camp. I don't know when I passed the Devil's watchamacallit, but it couldn't have been that bad.
Day off tomorrow.




No comments: