Sunday, May 10, 2009

Day 26

Miles 41.63 Total for trip 942.49
Avg spd 11.54
Max 27.48
Climb 1423
Alt Chng ++190
I got out of the tent around 6.30 to pack up and take a couple pictures of the start of the 100 mile ride. I was very surprised at the amount of people that were in the ride. I would say at least 200-300 were in the 100 miler and there were still a lot to got in the 100 k, 50 mile, 20 mile, and 10 mile. I left between the 100 miler and 100 k.


The above picture is always a bad sign. I got a couple more broken spokes today luckily they came at around 8 miles before the end of the day so I rode to the campsite and fixed everything up.
The ride today was great. I rode the 101 for around half the day, then I got on a road called Avenue of the Giants. The road follows the Eel River and is in the heart of redwood country. On both sides of the road you are surrounded by huge redwoods. I stayed in the Burlington Campground. It is a great state campground and only $3 for bikers and hikers. The picture below is the tree that was right over my tent. I heard many large branches falling off in the campground and was hoping one didn't take my tent out. I made it through the night with no incidents.





No comments: