Friday, May 8, 2009

Day 24



Those are seals in the picture above.











Miles 46.74 Total for trip 862.49

Avg spd 11.08

Max spd 38.47

Climb 1964

Alt chng --52


I rolled out of the tent today to find, sunny skies. Nice. It rained all last night, hopefully this morning will be the last time I have to fold up a soaked tent for a few days. I was eating my breakfast (cold wheat pasta from the night before, yum) when a couple came by to check out my gear. It turns out they had left their tent on top of a food locker ( the first camp that has had food lockers) went for a hike and when they came back their tent had been stolen. Bummer. Luckily the host had an old tent and let them borrow it. We talked for awhile about where I am going and assured me they had never had any other thefts at a California camp ground. I think they could tell I was a little paranoid about getting stuff stolen when I went on hikes.


The bird in the photo were enjoying the strong winds coming off the Big Lagoon. When I first saw them, there were 3 just floating along, back and forth not even a single flap of the wings. I stopped under them, 2 of the birds didn't like the company but the 3rd one kept flying about 15 feet above me.

It was definitely the best day since being on the coast. I was tempted to ride in my sandals but decided to wear my boots. My course today took me off the 101 a couple of places. The first was Patricks Point Dr. It went along the coast. It was a nice change today. The logging trucks were out in full force and there were a lot of places with little or no shoulder on the 101. Patricks Point Dr was a nice secluded road with not much traffic. The road had suffered some slides recently so there were a few places that had only a single dirt lane and signs said a large dip was up ahead so RVs and trailers should not use the road. I never saw the large dip, I think it was a scare tactic. Which was fine by me, it kept the traffic out. The second was called Hammond Trail, this trail is like the greenbelt. It was about 12 miles long some went along the ocean and some went alone country farms and finally over an old railroad bridge. I ran into a rider who was out training for his college team, Humbolt College. We talked a little about his training, my trip, an upcoming ride in Ferndale, (where I will be staying in a couple days) and Lance Armstrong.


Hammond Trail turned into the city streets of Arcata. Some of you who saw the tracking trail you might have thought I was lost, but you would be almost wrong. Somehow I got on Golf Club rd, which was a very hilly rough road. I thought it was the wrong road but didn't see any street signs so kept on going. A few ups and downs and I saw the road I needed, Old Arcata Rd. I had no idea which way to turn so went right. A mile down the road a woman who was walking her dog told me the KOA camp I was looking for was the other way. First time I got lost I picked the wrong way to go, odds are next time I will be right.


Just got done with laundry and will make it to past 9.00 pm before I hit the hay.


Battery is dead and the park I am at has their electric off so until next time.

No comments: