Monday, June 29, 2009

Day77

Miles 38.36 Total for trip 2975.55
Avg spd 7.95
Max spd 29.08
Climb 1183
Alt chng ++13

This morning was a sad day. I have had the same tube in my BOB trailer since I bought it about 4 yrs and 5000 miles ago. The tube had a slow leak. Every couple weeks it would be flat when I woke up. I would pump it up and it would be fine. This morning it would not hold any air so I had to change it. I put a new tube in it and pumped it up. I got to a mini mart after about 10 miles today and changed my rear tire, since it has had a slow leak for the last few days. I used the air machine at the mini mart to get a good fill on my rear tire and the BOB tire. I was around 3 miles from the mini mart when I heard a loud pop. Sure enough my BOB tire blew, and no I did not have another spare tube. I tried to fix the tube, but it would not hold air. I call the picture above, Wool Sock in BOB Tube. I cut up a couple wool socks that I have not used for over a month and taped them into the tube so at least the rim would stay of the ground. The next 20 miles to Cuba NM I learned that a flat tire on a BOB really slows you down. I was worried that the big city of Cuba would not have anywhere to get a 16" tube. Cuba only has 600 population. True Value came through for me and I got 2 tubes. I put on a new tire(I have been carrying it since leaving Boise) and tube. Wow what a difference.

I had planned on getting about 10 miles out of Cuba, but there is a Rainbow Gathering in the forest around Cuba so I thought I would just stay in town and get a good rest.
Happy 4th of July to everyone. It looks like I will be in Hopewell Lake NM on the 4th.

4 comments:

cheryl said...

Crazy, Aaron. You have definitely had a rough few days. Glad you made it to Cuba even if the 20 miles were tough. Nice wool sock idea. I am glad you are okay from your wreck. Cannot believe that you found your GPS. That is awesome! Have a good night tonight. It is probably a good thing.....I picked up some Rainbow festival hitch hikers one time. Interesting. They were followers and I still cannot handle the scent of patchouli mixed with BO...bad combination. Be well!

Love, sister Cheryl

cheryl said...

Just got done talking to Mom about you being near the "Sunshine Rally". Did I laugh!!! I let her know that it is really the rainbow festival. Maybe you could start your own rally - the Sunshine Rally!

Unknown said...

Why does everyone know about the Rainbow Festival but Beth and I - we appear to be a bit out of touch.

Unknown said...

Me too! I've never heard of the Rainbow folks. Hey Aaron, you are almost to the 3000 mile mark. You are amazing.
Debbie