Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Day 70

Miles 32.98 Total for trip 2700.18
spd 7.91
Max spd
30.08
Climb 1978
Alt chng --29
Top picture is where I stayed the night in Pietown. It is known as the Toaster House, because it has a lot of toasters hanging up around it. The bottom pic is of Nita & Don who are the keepers of the Toaster House. Nita raised 5 kids in the house and now it is unlocked for hikers and bikers of the Continental Divide.


This morning I was hungry, but knew there was a nice campsite 3 miles away so I would stop there and fix a good breakfast. As I was riding the 3 miles to the campsite I thought about how long it would have taken me last night compared to this morning. I figured if I could have made it last night it would have been at least 1.5 hours. This morning took me 25 mins. The campsite had nice picnic tables so I ate a good breakfast and read for a little while.

Today I was going to get back on pace with my book so I would be stopping in Pie Town. I have read many stories about the Pie-o-neer restaurant and was looking forward to trying out their pie. I had a grilled chile, tomato, cheese sandwich for the appetizer and decided to get the pecan oat pie with ice cream. Both were great. I planned on staying at the city park in town, but when the owner of Pie-o-neer heard I was on the Divide ride she told me about a Hostel in town, and she gave me another piece of pie. The Hostel is great. It is a house where Nina raised 5 kids. No one has lived in it on a regular basis since 1981 and now it is always unlocked. Any hiker or biker can stay the night. The freezer is stocked with food you can wash your clothes and get a shower. I had a relaxing evening in the house reading, catching up on my nightly entries, and mapping out my next couple days.



1 comment:

Unknown said...

Nice to see a picture of you!