Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Day 48

Miles 101.20 Total for trip 1808.21
Avg spd 12.23
Max spd 35.58
Climb 2244
Alt chng ++3

Today was about riding many miles, so I did not take any pictures.


Today is the day. I will try to ride farther then I have ever ridden in a day. I woke up at 5.30 and was out of the campsite right at 6.00 am. My goal was to get to the beach paths of LA before they got busy. I have had a couple riders tell me it is really slow going in LA. I made it to the first path in Santa Monica at 8.15 on Sunday. It was an overcast day so there were not many people out yet. The 17 miles of path through Santa Monica, Venice, and Manhattan Beach went really smooth. My next leg of the journey went through city streets of Redondo Beach, Torrance, and Carson. I missed the street from the bike path and had to backtrack a mile or so to get to Torrance Blvd. The streets were not very busy on a Sunday, I am sure they are very busy mon-fri. The next path was along the great Los Angeles River. Not so great, it is basically a big canal with very little water in it, but the path was nice. The busiest path was through Huntington Beach, but the path was as big as a two lane road so I was able to make good time through there. The toughest part of today was through Laguna Beach. It was tough because it was at the end of the day and it was the only city with any hills, plus through the main part of town there were no bike lanes and a lot of traffic, but after Laguna Beach it was only a few more miles to my campsite for the night Doheny State Beach.


All in all it was a good day considering how many miles I travelled.

No comments: