Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Day 66

Miles 38.03 Total for trip 2558.05
Avg spd 8.33
Max spd 34.42
Climb 2635
Alt chng ++938
After a good day off I was looking forward to getting started on the Continental Divide Trail. This route includes 80% on dirt/gravel roads, 10% single track trail, and 10% on paved roads. Today's trail was to be a mix of around 20 miles on paved road and 32 miles on dirt/gravel road.


Picture above is the great Mimbres River, my water supply for 3 days.

Today was going good I was a little worried that riding on dirt roads would take more out of me. I was doing fine on dirt and was able to keep my average speed above 8 mph even with more then 2500 ft of climbing.

In Silver City I read about a couple small fires that were near the trail I was going to be taking. The paper made it sound like the fires would be managed, but allowed to burn out on their own so I was not too worried about them. My mistake. I got to my second dirt road for the day and saw a big sign that said road closed. I read the signs and all the fire info and found that the road was open for a few miles, but was closed before my first scheduled campsite. I talked with a ranger that was posting some information on the board and he told me about a campsite that was before the road closure and was near the Mimbres River. I got to the road called 150A and was going to turn down to check on the campsite. A car was coming from were the road was closed and it turned out to be the head fire guy. I talked with him to see when he thought the road would open and he said there was a lot of pressure to get it opened by Father's Day. It looked like I had a few days wait ahead of me.

I started down road 150A to get to the campsite. The road definitely got worse and looked like it would be going straight down. I went down around 600 feet in a little less then a mile. All I could think of was how tough it was going to be getting out of here in the morning. The great Mimbres River turned out to be just a trickle, but enough to filter some water out of. It was a nice campsite, but I was hopping I would not be staying for 3-4 nights.

No comments: