Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Day 63

Miles 48.54 Total for trip 2454.92
Avg spd 6.59
Max spd 37.61
Climb4607
Alt chng 3191
I knew leaving today that I would be lucky to average more then 8 miles per hour. I didn't even manage 7 MPH. I had 2 tough climbs today. The first one was slow and gradual, while the second climb started slow and finished with about a 1000 ft climb in about 3 miles. It was the toughest climb of the trip. I walked close to 2.5 miles of the last 3 miles it was so steep.

During the first climb I talked with a biker. He was on his way into town to get something for his motorcycle. We talked for a little bit and he told me about the happening places in Silver City. He road by me on the way back to his house while I was walking my bike over the though pass. In the picture below you can see the road before it starts the steep cutbacks up the mountain.

The campsite tonight is about .7 miles past the pass of 6295 ft. and is called the Black Jack campgrounds. The mountain is called Big Lue Mountain. Looking forward to a cool night of sleeping at such a high altitude.



No comments: