Friday, June 5, 2009

Day 52

Miles 56.5 Total for trip 1935.43
Avg spd 7.73
Max spd 36.74
Climb 4650
Atl chng ++2748 Today was the day. I had a climb of over 3500 feet. I was looking forward to getting off the coast and back into mountain country. It is different knowing there is a climb of 3500 feet to do and doing 300-500 feet multiple times a day. The great thing about doing a 3500 foot climb is that you get to go down. Today would almost all be uphill until the last few miles into my camp.
I got lost getting out of San Diego. I was going to right way and got to where I needed to be, unfortunately there was a sign saying no bicycles allowed and the entrance looked bad for a bike. I turned around to look for another way. I found what I thought would be a way to get around Hwy 8 to get to where I needed to be. I was wrong and ended up in the suburb of Spring Valley which was not anywhere on my maps. I stopped at an AM/PM and got a map. After plotting my escape from San Diego I told myself not to deviate from my route.
After a few miles I saw a great bike route going to the right so I took another look at the map and showed the bike route would get me where I wanted to go. Wrong. Again never deviate from your original route. After riding around the great Grossmont College I again checked out the map and found a road that would get me back to my route. Back on my route finally and I saw a great store, Target. I was needing to get a phone to replace the one that bit the dust. As an ex-Tmobile employee I know a little secret about prepaid phones. I got a prepaid phone with no new contract for only $20. I just put my SIM card in it and get to keep my phone # and now have a working phone.

The climb went better today then I expected. I walked my bike for only around a mile or so. The great thing about today is that I knew I would get a nice down hill into my campsite. I took the nice downhill, got to the campground and saw a closed sign. Normally this would not be a big deal because I would just ride in. There was a vehicle at the entrance so I thought I would have to keep on riding. I stopped to talk with the people in the rig. They were biologist contracted with the USFS and they didn't think it would be any trouble if I stayed there the night. So I had the whole campsite to myself, it was a great night. Looking forward to many miles of downhill tomorrow.


No comments: