Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Day 68

Miles 35.7 Total for trip 2599.44
Avg spd 5.76
Max spd 25.26
Climb 3933
Alt chng ++193
Great sunset at the nights camp spot.

I got out of the canyon at around 8.30 am and was hoping to see the closed signs gone. No such luck they were still there. I decided to wait around until 12.00 pm to see if they would open the roads today. The first two said they were thinking about opening the road later today, but he did not know when. It was around 11.00 am that I got the go ahead to go through the closure. I was happy I did not want to go back down into the canyon again to get water.

At the top of the first hill I heard a loud noise to my left and I saw a family of wild boar. I wanted to stop and get some pictures, but the male was eyeballing me while the female and piglet crossed the road about 20 feet in front of me. I decided it would be best if I did not stop to get the camera out, I did not want to get a headbutt from the boar.


Today I was going to try and make up for lost time and get around 65 miles, 14 miles from the first day and 51 miles for the second day. I knew after the first 14 miles that there was no way I was going to get 65 miles in. I was a little worried that if the whole Divide was like the first 14 miles of today I might have trouble making it the whole distance. Throughout the day I had tough climbs up and down. Around mile 15 I hit a plateau for around 10 miles and was able to pedal easy. I decided I had enough for the day when I passed a pseudo campground and set up shop.



There were still a couple fires burning. I never did see any firemen, but I did see a fire hose.

I was getting tired of just SPAM and pasta so I tried what Dan suggested and added turkey jerky to the mix. That was just what gourmet night needed, it was delicious.

No comments: