Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Day 71

Miles 52.2 Total for trip 2752.38
Avg spd 11.82
Max spd 30.95
Climb 1084
Alt chng --787 Great rainbow last night after it rained for a few minutes.

Awesome scenery considering it was an alternate.

There were 2 pie restaurants in Pietown so I had to finish my duty this morning and hit the second one for breakfast. I had a sensible breakfast of ham and eggs with key lime pie for dessert. All three pieces (pecan oat, coconut cream, and key lime) were great.

Today the ride looked like it would be fairly flat so I planned on doing more then the 28 miles the book had planned for me. I got the first 28 miles done and took a break at the campsite, which turned out to be just a flat area. I was going to try to make it about 30 more miles today. I was trying to outrun a couple rain clouds, but they were gaining on me throughout the day. At the end of the dirt road I had the option of taking the Chain of Craters Backcountry Byway, which specifically says may be impassible when wet, or I could take hwy 117 that did not seem to have much traffic. It seemed like I was going to get rained on either way so I decided that rain and pavement mixed better then rain and clay. The scenery on the 117 was great so I was happy with my decision to take the alternate and it was 18 miles shorter to Grants so I could get into town early and take care of some things. I found a great BLM campsit about 20 miles out of Grants. I meet some guys who did the Great Divide Ride a couple years ago and said they had a great time. They were on their way to ride 3 weeks through Colorado.

No comments: