Monday, June 29, 2009

Day 76

Miles 80.80 Total for trip 2936.59
Avg 8.81
Max spd 34.42
Climb 3299
Alt chng ++577 The picture above is from my campsite for the night. The cool thing about the campsite(along the side of hwy 509) is that after I was there for about 30 minutes I heard a car stop a little down the road. I was waiting for someone to come tell me I could not stay there for the night, but was surprised by a nice sound. The person that stopped there started playing a flute. They played for about 15 minutes during the sunset. It was a great sunset.
The Great Divide Race started on June 12th in Rooseville, MT. I went by Kurt around 2pm about 40 miles out of Grants. We talked, I marveled at his lack of gear. The racers cannot get any help along the route. I don't think he had more then a couple quarts of water on his bike. He said there is a fine line of taking too little gear and the speed they can go with little gear. He told me about a tandem that was a couple hours back. I thought it would be tough to do the race on a tandem so I got a picture of them as they went by. Another racer was going by a house with a few dogs out and I heard him yelling at the dogs. As he went by I asked if the dogs were nice? He said they tried to bite him. I was in a strong head wind and knew I could not out run the dogs so I went into stealth mode and was by the house before they even saw me. Sweet.

I was riding into this storm. I had a strong headwind for around 11 miles and was not looking forward to setting up camp in a storm. The low system that I heard about a couple days ago must have come through, because the cloud broke up and I set up camp in blue sky. Looking forward to getting to Cuba tomorrow.


No comments: