Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Day 118

Miles 45.10 Total for trip 4507.82
Avg spd 7.44
Max spd 35.58
Climb 3410
Alt chng --659 I didn't know what to expect after getting out of camp today. It was going to be a tough climb to start, around 1300 ft. I passed a couple huge mushrooms along the path today. They would have made a great dinner, but I do not know anything about wild mushrooms.
After around 1200 ft I started to think Randy exaggerated a little bit about how tough the roads were. After a turn onto a less traveled road I decided he was not. I was happy I was almost to the top of the hill. The trail turned into a single track that had large rocks, and many tree roots crossing the trail. It was about a 3 mile downhill, but with all the rocks and roots I was still only at around a 4.5 mph avg. It was as trough as any road in New Mexico, but it was not a very long trail.
After the downhill I had to decide if I wanted to go to Helena or take a shortcut around it. I decided to check out Helena. I rode around the town a couple miles then hit the local Mcds. I ate dinner and got out of town. I rode out on Hwy 12 for around 8 miles. I was close to my turn off, but it looked like there was just private property. I saw a spot up 10 feet along the 12 were I would be out of sight so I decided to stay there for the night.

No comments: