Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Day 117

Miles 38.10 Total for trip 4462.72
Avg spd 8.19
Max spd 20.54
Climb 2247
Alt chng ++806 Finally out of Butte, and dry!!! I made one more pit stop on the way out of town to get another chain, just in case.

The morning ride took me on the I15 for a few miles. It was nice to get back on the dirt after riding the frontage roads for a few days. The bike trouble may have been a blessing in disguise. When I got on the dirt roads there was still a lot of water. Most of the mud bogs were ride able. I saw a whole bunch of bike tracks in the mud and wondered if they were going up or down. I got to the bottom of the hill and it turned out the tracks went up and down. There was a group of 4 who parked their truck at the bottom of the hill and rode it up and down.

I had planned on getting up to Chessman Reservoir today, but I remembered Randy's tale of some tough roads ahead. I saw a great little place to camp right on a creek and decided I had gone enough for the day. I met Randy at the KOA camp. He got stuck on top of one of the passes during the epic hail storm(golf ball size hail). He was lucky enough to have a couple of trucks to sit under for most of the hail. He told me about some of the tough roads, it sounds like Montana will try to take the worst road trophy from New Mexico.
The camp spot I found is on my short list for favorite spots. The creek it is by was going really good after 3 heavy days of rain, and you can see an old mine on the other side of the creek. I tried to find a spot to cross, but with the high flow decided against it.


The tunnel was not very long, but was a little spooky with my not so bright headlight.

No comments: