Thursday, April 23, 2009

Day 9

Miles 34.10 Total for trip 394.89
Avg spd 8.72
Max spd 30.08
Climb 1255 ft
Alt Change -55 ft


Today was a nice ride out of Silver Lake. The first 30 miles were a mix of good up and down. My average speed was around 11.50, then on a downhill coast my left foot fill off the pedal. It turns out the pedal fell off the bike. I braked hard and had to find a spot to park my bike and walk up the hill to retrieve said pedal. The bearings in my pedal seized up, so the pedal unscrewed itself. I found a crack in the pedal so dust must have been getting into it and caused it to seize up. I tried to lube the bearings up and screw the pedal back in. Over the next 5-6 miles the thread got stripped so now the pedal just fell out. I tried electric tape to get me by, that did not work real well. I stopped at the Klamath Marsh NWR office and talked with someone there, figured out the closest bike shop would be in Klamath Falls around 65 miles away. I was in for a long couple days. The guy at the office said to try to hitchhike. I am not a huge fan of hitchhiking, but the first time I put my thumb out they stopped. It happened to be a couple that was coming from Boise and they own Smokey Mountain Pizza in Boise, my new favorite pizza place. They were nice enough to go out of their way to take me all the way to Klamath Falls. They even called to find a bike shop and dropped my at the front door of Hutch's Bike Shop. I got new pedals and they fixed a busted spoke. Not the best day, but not the worst. Dan filled everyone in on my new route for the next couple days. Thanks Dan. Getting a late start for today's ride but should be able to get to the campground at Fish Lake.

I have never had any trouble with a pedal before. This shows that no matter how much planning something still could, and will go wrong. It is good to get these things taken care of now, not in the middle of now where Wyoming, or Canada.









I will be out of any wifi for 4-5 days and will take at least 1 day off at Joseph H. Stewart SP. Take care

3 comments:

Unknown said...

"I tried electric tape to get me by..."

That sounds like something your father would do.

Unknown said...

Hi Aaron,
Christmas Valley sound like a quaint little town. Glad you treated yourself to pizza. How's your body holding out (knees etc.)We love hearing your stories and updates on your trip. The pictures are awesome also.

As far as the electrical tape goes, it was worth a shot. Maybe duck tape would have did it, though....after all, doesn't duch tape fix anything.

Unknown said...

Dan,
Thanks for the updates and spontanious speculations on Aaron's plans, progress, etc.
Debbie

Aaron that Christmas Valley, duch tape comment was from me.
Hugs,
Debbie