Sunday, April 26, 2009

Day 13

Miles 60.67 Total for trip 543.65
Avg spd 10.35
Max spd 34.84
Climb 3190
Alt chng -999 (more loss of altitude but my bike computer does not go lower)
I got out of Joseph Stewart SP at around 9 am. I though the first part of the ride on Hwy 62 would be fairly easy but did not know what Hwy 227 would be. The moment I turned onto the 227 I started a nice slow climb. I was riding by a nice house and heard someone asking how far I was going. I told him I try to go 40-45 miles per day. He asked, " is that all?" (Some people say," how do you go that far" and some say, "is that all.") I talked with him for a while. He said he tried to go around the Crater Lake rim but had to walk during some of it. He told me I was in for some rough uphill. I said, "so far it has been nice and slow uphill." He was correct when he said it would get steeper. I had to hike a bike for a couple miles up today. After I got up the hill it was sweet downhill. I had to stop to put my jacket on I got so cold. Today I had to use the brakes even harder then yesterday during the 14 mile downhill.

Today I was riding beside the South Umpqua river for much of the way. It is a nice clear river a little bigger then the Boise River. I had been able to go past the small cafes for the last few days, but today I stopped at a couple to get some good food.
The picture below is from the covered bridge going to the Milo Academy religious boarding school. It looked really nice. Had a great day. Almost to the coast, looking forward to clamming. Everyone I have told I was going to Brandon OR, has said it was a great city.




5 comments:

bethsuhr said...

testing, testing

bethsuhr said...

Hi Aaron,
I'm waiting to see how many miles you traveled on the 27th & 28th, looks like a lot. Love the pictures, what a quaint covered bridge, reminds me of the east. You must be saying, "Brandon" here I come, because don't you get to rest a couple of days there to do some clamming? love mom

Unknown said...

Hey Aaron,
I'm in awe. Again what great sites you are getting to see. I loved the lake (river) ones and really loved the water fall one. We all went to Shoshone Falls last week as they are really falling right now. It too was an awesome sight. Last night, as I was doing the wii fit, I thought boy I'm pretty pathatic, here I am doing "techno" exersise and I could be out there biking. You're my hero!!

Have you made it to the coast yet?
Hope you have packed plenty of tape (Duct tape). Good to hear that you are meeting lots of interesting people. That was nice of you to let the family camp at their favorite camp spot.

Love ya!!
Debbie

Unknown said...

Hey Aunt Beth,

Wow you get up mighty early!!!
Love ya!
Debbie

cheryl said...

I love your pics, Aaron. Some of them, I feel like I am there with you. (But I would be in the car following behind) He He.