Thursday, April 23, 2009

Day 7

Thanks for the updates Dan they are looking good.





Miles 75.23 total for trip 305.33

Avg spd 10.87

Max spd 32.69

Climb 2283

Alt change ++537
I have ridden this part of Hwy 20 before. Some of the 20 is tough, lucky for me the section from Burns to Riley is fairly easy and there was no wind. The first 24 miles to Riley went real good and I was looking forward to taking a break at Riley. As I was sitting on a bench in the shade at the store in Riley a couple bike riders pulled up. I was surprised to see any bikers before the coast. This part of Oregon isn't known for great riding. Nick and Andrea were on their way to Billings MT from Eugene OR. Nick has been making this trip for many years. He goes to Billings to work during the summer and fall. He said the biking helps him to stop smoking and get into shape for work. We talked for 30 mins or so and I went on my way to Wagontire.








For those planning on going to the big city of Wagontire skip Monday since the cafe/store/rest spot is closed. Wagontire was my destination for the day but I was going to try to make it another 15 miles, so it being closed made my decision easy. I made it to Christmas Valley Hwy and still felt good so I pushed on. Around 7 miles down Christmas Valley I saw a 8% grade hill. I don't think I have ever seen this steep of a hill that was paved. I would like to say it was a breeze to climb, but it was hike a bike for all but the first 5 feet. I had to take a break from pushing my bike up the hill I got so tired. It made me feel good to see that the trucks and bus went up the hill really slow. After the hill there was a lone tree that would have been a great place to camp. I walked up to check out the location and found a couple big ant hills so I pushed on to find a better locale, which I found about 2 miles later. It had an old foundation for a little house or a place to park an old wagon, whatever it was for made for a nice campground.



This night was the first night I could hear the coyote howling. At around 6 am I heard one outside my tent panting and walking around. I was glad all my beef jerky was safely stored.
Hope your school project is going good Amy.


No comments: