Sunday, April 26, 2009

Day 11

Miles 75.09 Total for trip 482.98
Avg spd 10.99
spd 34.42
Climb 3208
Alt change -999 (more loss of altitude but my bike computer does not go lower)

Picture above is Mt. McLoughlin. Awesome scenery today.

I got out of Odessa campground at 9.30 and felt.......no wind, nice. I though it would be a tough ride until past Fish Lake area today and was correct.(I had inside information that the ride from Fish Lake to Butte Falls would be downhill.) There were some nice uphills and decent downhills. It was the first part of my trip that I could see some serious snow still on the side of the road. This area has to get a lot of snow since the road guard polls are around 12 feet tall. It was nice scenery. Mountains and big pine trees instead of sagebrush. The summit sign said 5105, the highest summit yet. I went down for a little ways and then saw a sign that all riders dream of 5% grade for 10 miles, but my turnoff to Butte Falls was less then 1/4 mile away. I almost decided to take the easy 10 miles and go to Medford, but I decided to turn to Butte Falls. I am glad I did. After a couple miles of up and down a sign said hill 14 miles. My had got cramped up because of the cold and constant braking I had to do, I am not complaining it was the easiest 14 miles I have ever biked. I decided to go the extra mile to Butte Falls to see what the town was like and to get a mushroom swiss burger. It was a nice town and I biked down to see Butte Spring Falls.








The picture above was from a lake that was not on the map. I had pulled over and went to a great campsite. I was thinking about stopping for the day, but thought I should push on. I was taking a couple pictures and still thinking about staying. I heard an excuse my from behind and a guy asked if I planned on camping. I saw him and a couple kids and said no. He said it was his family's favorite camping spot. We talked for a little while about the lake and then I was on my way.
The picture above was taken from a bridge. I probably should not have walked to get the shot. Luckily no cars went by when I took the picture.

The last shot was taken from a cool bridge. I saw the bridge from about 1/4 mile away but I could not stop and take a picture of the bridge because I was going to fast and there was not a safe place to stop. The picture is about 1/2 mile before Joseph H. Stewart SP.

No comments: